Now that you’ve identified the barriers in your business (Day 1), and you’ve named your fears (Day 2), we’re ready to tackle the biggest obstacle of them all when it comes to braving the battles that lie ahead for you . . . and that is your perspective of failure.
FAILURE (Just the word itself sounds terrible, doesn’t it?)
They’ve said that on the other side of failure is success.
And when it comes down to it, not being afraid to fail is what sets the successful apart from the rest.
This is the most important part of this challenge! Are you ready? Cause I’m going to give it to you straight and super real???
IF YOU CAN BECOME OKAY WITH THAT FACT THAT YOU ARE GOING TO EXPERIENCE FAILURE THROUGHOUT YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY, YOU WILL NEVER BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS YOU WANT TO BE.
Do you find yourself struggling with perfectionism?
Do you worry about how other people will judge your business?
Do you worry about being good enough? (Trust us, you are!)
Most people are taught throughout their lives that failure is a bad thing. Get a bad grade, and you’re punished. If you make a mistake at work, and be sure to hear about it from the boss. We then bring that same mentality into our business.
This thinking will ruin your business if you let it.
You will never know what works if you don’t try different things. Because here’s the thing: what works for you may not be what works for other people.
Everyone may be saying, “Do video”, but you find that your best type of content is blog captions. But if you don’t actually try doing video, you would never know this. You wouldn’t say you failed at video content, you simply found something that didn’t work.
AND HEAR ME OUT, THIS IS A GREAT THING!
The more you can narrow down what doesn’t work, the sooner you arrive at something that does.
Also, think about the valuable information you learn throughout the process! These are now priceless lessons you have learned that you can use in making future business decisions.
Now think about what you DON’T learn when you let the fear of failure keep you from acting . . .
This is why overcoming the fear of failure is the most important part of this challenge. Nothing can happen in your business until you confront it head with a plan of action.
ACTION CURES ANY FEAR, no matter how big.
YOUR DAY 3 REFLECTION:
- What is something that you’ve wanted to do, but haven’t because you’ve feared failure?
- Think about the area(s) of your business where you fear failure the most? Why is this?
- How long have you known you’ve felt this way?
YOUR DAY 3 ACTION:
- Now that you know the area(s) that you fear failure the most, as well as how long you’ve felt this way, you can begin to shed that old belief, and champion in a new one!
- The longer you’ve feared failure, and the more important the area of your life is to you, will determine just how much you fear failing. So knowing this, start small when conquering this fear. Baby steps and small tasks are great ways to wins and help you build momentum in the right direction.
- Write your power statement! ← Wait, what, I. Don’t. Compute (Robot emoji). It is the statement you write about yourself as if you’re already that person. Here’s mine: “I am unstoppable when it comes to conquering my fears. I look at new opportunities as positive ones to improve my knowledge and skills.” So what is your power statement?
Fear of failing doesn’t have to be a scary thing. When you switch your perspective from challenge to opportunity, from negative to positive, that is when you can break down those walls and begin to take steps forward.